The Public News Choice
Vol. I · No. 235
Government
Breaking
Carney put a date on the match. Sept. 8.
On Parliament Hill he called Washington’s terms a bad deal, named the sectors, and set the clock for the Tuesday after Labour Day.
Mark Carney spent Saturday morning on Parliament Hill putting a calendar under Friday night’s walk-off.
The United States had already put 50 percent tariffs on a slice of Canadian goods after midnight. The new piece from Ottawa was the reply. Canada will match those duties dollar for dollar, he said, concentrated in steel, dairy, appliances, agricultural equipment, pulp and paper, and electronics, plus goods already under Section 232 and 338 tariffs. The Canadian measures “will come into force the Tuesday after Labour Day.” That is Sept. 8. The product list is still coming “in the coming days.”
That is not the same story as Friday night. Friday was the walk. Saturday was the date, the sectors, and a speech that treated the collapse as an attack on sovereignty rather than a failed close.
We cannot accept what they’ve offered, and we will not give what they’ve asked.
— Prime Minister Mark Carney, Parliament Hill, Aug. 22, 2026, as published in full by CBC News
In the same remarks he put the U.S. position in one line: “they asked too much and they offered too little.” He said his government would not trade away sovereignty, protection of the French language, or culture, “even though the United States tried until the very last minute.”
U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer told a different story Friday night. As carried by Fox Business and NBC, Greer said Canada declined to finalize the deal under terms that had been agreed earlier in the week, and that Ottawa kept “prolonged retaliation,” including bans on some American goods. Both accounts are on the record. Only one of them can be the whole record.
The dollar figures still do not match. Carney’s Friday statement put the U.S. hit at “roughly $28 billion.” USTR’s July list sat closer to $20 billion. On Saturday he said the new American tariffs covered “almost $30 billion.” The desk is printing the spread.
| Item | On the record |
|---|---|
| U.S. 50% duties | In force after midnight Friday, Aug. 21 / Saturday, Aug. 22 |
| Canada’s match | Dollar for dollar; list still unpublished |
| Start date | Tuesday after Labour Day — Sept. 8, 2026 |
| Named sectors | Steel, dairy, appliances, farm equipment, pulp and paper, electronics; plus Section 232 and 338 goods |
| Washington’s account | Greer: Canada declined terms agreed earlier in the week |
He reached for a line that will travel: that America’s signature is “sometimes … written in pencil.” He also repeated a spring warning that “America is trying to break us so they can own us.” That is a political speech. The ledger is simpler. Talks died Friday. The U.S. duties are live. Ottawa’s match is dated Sept. 8, and no one has published the product list yet.
Cabinet and the premiers were on Saturday’s calendar after the presser.
Sources: Carney’s Saturday remarks as published in full by CBC News; Carney’s Aug. 21 statement at pm.gc.ca; USTR Jamieson Greer as reported Friday by Fox Business and NBC News; Reuters, via Nikkei Asia, on the Sept. 8 start. Image: Saffron Blaze / Wikimedia Commons, CC BY-SA 3.0.
Ottawa
publicnewschoice.com